Autumns here!!

Autumns here!!

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Who are you Amma?

The other day Vaibhav asked me something that surprised me. But before that let me give you a bit of background. I work from home. And I work the three hours the kids are at school and another 2-3 hours after they are in bed. My meetings are always after the kids are dropped off at school. In a nutshell, the kids never see me WORK ( e-mail/FBing not counted) on the comp or do work-related stuff when they are around. They get my 100% and more and we were all enjoying the status quo... until.....Vaibhav one day thought for a while and then said "Amma, I want to be an astronaut when I grow up. And Shriya says she wants to be a doctor and help all the thathas and paatis". I said that they were both great choices and threw in a pinch of salt to the sambhar I was cooking. And then he said very worriedly "Amma,you have already grown up, what have you become?"

Hmm....so that's what they think of me. Just AMom!

The other day, somebody requested for a meeting at 11am, a time when I'm usually presiding over the lunch table and narrating stories. I almost said Sorry, we'll have to change the time and then decided not to. I dressed up in work clothes took my laptop and set off kissing goodbye to two very surprised children.

The kids took it all very well. It was I who was paranoid leaving them in the care of my housekeeper. I made umpteen calls to check if they ate alright, if they were dressed right for school, if they remembered to put on their caps......

The last call I made, my son took the phone from my housekeeper and said "Ma, we have been very good. You do well in your meeting, ok?"

No comments:

Post a Comment