Autumns here!!

Autumns here!!

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Such a blessed birthday!

Shuffling, scurrying, giggling, conspiring. I could hear it all but was strictly forbidden to look. I heard the ping of the oven and the gentle thud of the refrigerator. And then after assembling everybody (my husband and housekeeper) they led me to the table with my eyes shut.

And there was the most beautiful sight I’d ever seen. A grilled cheese sandwich topped with gummy bears, decorated with  candles. Vaibhav explained- “It only looks like a sandwich, ma, but its actually a cake’! Shriya sweetly offered - “If it's difficult to blow out all the candles and eat all the gummy bears, I can help with some?”

I could feel a sting in my eyes and a grin in my heart. What a wonderfully, thoughtful thing to do! And what impressed me was how amicably they worked together without  bickering or fighting. I blew one candle, popped in a gummy bear and cut into the crispy toasted bread and oozing cheese. What a clever idea, to combine my cake with a good breakfast, I exclaimed. I should have stopped there. But then I added that as I didn’t have a sweet tooth, I did not favour cakes that were not made out of toasted bread. This was perfect!!

Uh-oh!

In front of me was my husband with a scrumptious looking black forest cake, candles and all!!:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment