Autumns here!!

Autumns here!!

Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Balancing Act

The brother and sister, like all brothers and sisters have their moments of love and hate. The sister will go against the world to save her brother from trouble (mostly with me)and he on his part will happily give his darling sister a piggy back ride for every trip to the toilet and back!But those are the precious and peaceful times when they adore each other and all's well. But if only Life was so simple!!

'He's the worst brother in the whole wide world' or 'She's beyond annoying' are common phrases in our home. And before, when I was still the naive mom I was, I'd intervene and try to play judge. But I found that it only got me into trouble with either one of them and then the chorus would sing 'You are the meanest mother'!!So, these days, I just tell them that as they started the arguement they can very well end it too.

But after our move to Helsinki, I see these two getting together amicably for many things, very often. And more than willingly too! Vaibhav will make a face but actually help his sister set up her dolls house. Shriya is game for a round of soccer anytime. I'm often seeing two dark heads deep in conversation, possibly discussing old friends, influencing the other, compromising on choices! I wonder if this change is because they are spending an awful lot of time together (no school) or the fact that they still have only a small bunch of friends here. In any case, it warms my heart to watch these two even out their everyday differences and enjoy each other's company.

A few weeks back, when it was still Spring, we got their bicycles out. The brother being a pro (he started riding without training wheels, the day he turned 4) zipped past us and zoomed through all the little lanes in the park. The sister who still had a training wheel on was left behind. And I was no help as I cant ride a bike to save my life.

And then came her gallant 'guru'. He was patient, encouraging, ready and above all very confident in her abilities. I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.
So, for every argument and fight they have these days, I remind myself of that precious afternoon and somehow it just balances it all out!








No comments:

Post a Comment