Autumns here!!

Autumns here!!

Monday, May 7, 2012

Oh So Easy Palgova!

My kids have acquired quite a craving for palgova! They got their first taste at Murugan Idli(Singapore) which flies in fresh Sriviliputhur palgova everyday! And after that initial intro to this calorie laden bomb of a delicacy my little ones demand some everyday for their dessert! I'm thrilled that their taste buds crave yet another Desi sweet (they also love mysorepak) but I just couldn't see myself slaving over a pot of milk waiting patiently for it to transform into palgova!

I was lamenting about the situation to Amma one day and she surprised me with "even Paati and I dont make thiratti pal the traditional way anymore. Microwave palgova is so easy"! What?? I always ate home-made palgova with a side order of guilt.... imagining my poor amma stirring the milk painstakingly for hours while she was actually merely flicking her wrist to switch on and turn off the microwave!

Well, of course amma was right. Why waste time when it can be done faster without compromising on taste. The recipe is so easy that my kids do it themselves with a wee bit of supervision. Here goes..

Microwave Palgova

1 tin condensed milk
1 tbsp natural yogurt
a pinch of cardamom powder
1 tbsp ghee

Empty the condensed milk in a large microwaveable dish. Add in the yogurt and whisk together. Place it in the microwave for 2 minutes. Take the container out and give it a stir. Repeat the process another 2 times. Stir in the ghee and the cardamom and keep it in the microwave for another 2 minutes. By this time the mixture would have already gained the thirattipal consistency. Depending on how brown you like it, place it in the microwave for another minute and then let it just rest for half an hour.

The milky goodness would have done away with all the excess liquids and what remains is just pure joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment