Autumns here!!

Autumns here!!

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

First Impressions- Part II


5. Well, you don't have to teach an Indian about being 'fashionably late'. But being late has always irked me and I try and try to make it on time (a tad difficult dragging the brood around esp the Dad!)But punctuality is taken very seriously here. And I've more than experienced it these past few weeks. The Finland Relocation Service had assigned a lovely lady to take us around and help us settle in. The first time she said she'd come to pick us up at 9.12am, I though she meant around 9.15am. I was spooked out of my shoes when she rang the bell at 9.12 sharp, on the dot.

Well,we are learning!Its the same with the transport system. The buses and trams are always on time, each time.These days, we plan our trips and casually check with each other if we should take the 4.11 bus or the 4.22 tram! Big lesson after all these years that 1.18's and 3.23's do exist on the clock!!

6. The Finns are a sporty lot. Be it -5 degrees or better they are all out there jogging and running. The kids, the nannies, the grandaddies, the dogs are all exercising. And they are all fabulously fit! Well, this particular aspect is taking more than its toll on me. I've been happily 'comfort eating' these past few weeks throwing caution to the air. I better get my act together or might soon be regarded an out caste in this part of the world.

7. The dogs are everywhere. It seems like everybody and their granny has a dog. And you can imagine the looks I'm getting from Vaibhav (who claims he loves dogs...except cleaning their poop)!We are used to the regular pomerenians, poodles or even the occasional daschunds on the roads of Singapore. But this is a dog fest! Every possible pedigree on earth is taking a walk on the next street. Shaggy dogs, scary dogs,teeny tiny dogs (not chihuahas), dogs nearly my size are all out there, very much part of society.

8. The Finns NEVER blame the weather. According to them, there's nothing called ' bad' weather only ' bad' clothing. Well, we've come to accept that. As Vaibhav (a kid who has grown up seeing nothing but hot and hotter- occasional winter holidays don't count) says these days, " Amma, its 7 degrees outside. Its going to be a great day'!!

Yes, everyday in Finland is a gorgeous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment