Autumns here!!

Autumns here!!

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Saree Mommy for a Month!

We were in Chennai the last month. And I decided to ‘ Go Saree ‘! I won’t be offended if you think the heat had gone to my head and if I’d completely lost my marbles. The weather was scorching hot, the attire- a tad fussy and definitely not the most convenient with kids. But yet, it was such a joy these past few days, draping one beautiful creation after another.

I had always wanted to, at some point adopt the saree as my regular wear. Wearing a saree , to me, was the height of adulthood. Something that declared to the world that you’ve arrived! As a high schoolgirl, it was nothing more than torture that I had to endure during graduation day, making sure that I don’t trip on it or worse still strip myself of it. Having heard stories from my mother about how she managed her entire college years with just 5 sarees, I thought once I started college it would come easily to me. But it became impractical with the numerous classes I had to rush to. I hoped that when I got married, I would have all the leisure to live my dream of greeting my husband in a beautiful saree. But that was short-lived too and most unsuitable in Singapore as I was just starting my career.

The day we arrived, I raided my Mom’s cupboard and brought out my own rarely used collection. If it was a Chanderi in the morning, it was a Chiffon for the evening. Bengal cottons for the markets and Bandinis for visiting friends. And the best bit was that I was not parading in it for a few hours. It did not feel like a fancy dress contest, as it always had been! I actually lived in it, donning one an entire day.

To me, and I’m sure for many in my generation, the epitome of Desi mommyness is somebody elegantly draped in a crisply starched cotton saree, complete with a bindi! I totally reveled in that vision. When the gentle Marina beach breeze played with my saree pleats as my kids dragged me into the water, when I casually tucked in one end of the garment at my waist while helping my mom or mom-in-law in the kitchen , when my child insistently tugged at the pallu- It all felt so natural, so spontaneous and oh so graceful! I finally felt a part of that unsaid circle of moms who generations before me might have felt the same way that I did, while carrying out their everyday duties, in this very same attire.

The kids knew about the 'Go Saree' plan and loved it. My biggest compliment that entire month was when I morphed back to being practical 'Jeans Mommy' the day we were leaving Chennai. No bindi, no fancy earrings,no fuss look. Shriya said ' You look ....so, hmmm..so normal, ma. Why cant you wear a saree on the plane?'.

So glad you loved the abnormal look, little girl. But a saree on the plane-that's where I draw the line!

And the verdict after 3 weeks is:
Its not that uncomfortable. After a few days, you do get the hang of it. Its not hot and stuffy and on the contrary quite airy- Can now completely appreciate why it was meant to be draped this way. And it makes you feel gorgeous, like never before. An indescribable feeling! And for just that one last reason, I’d do it all over again the next time I’m back in Chennai!

No comments:

Post a Comment