Autumns here!!

Autumns here!!

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Cracked it!


End of the school term. Phew, we are finally done. I would not normally feel this level of elation or relief after a school term. The truth is when we moved back to Singapore 3 months ago, the kids changed school systems. And we were well aware that they lagged behind as per the Singapore system. And with a grade above their usual, it was huge task ahead. Will they fit in? Will they like it? Will they cope? Was the move fair to them? Questions that gnawed at us all the time.

The Dad and I have been helping them and assuring them that scores were afterall numbers and it was ultimately their attitude and hard work that would matter to us. The kids were relentless and helped us and their fabulous teachers help them. From a no homework zone, they quickly adjusted to schools that regularly tested skills. From a super relaxed, take life at your own pace system, they've adapted to a system that expects.

I'm simply thankful that the kids have had the opportunity to experience two hugely different ways of education. They have gained much from both. And as they are growing older, I guess 'expectations' will matter, especially if they have to explore their best.

After attending both parent teacher sessions, I'm a thrilled mom. Yes, they've done great academically but what really did it for me was when their teachers told me how much they loved chatting with them, how nicely they get along with teams and friends and what positive spirits they have!I'm trying to memorise it all and keep it at the top of my mind. Should come handy when I remind myself that for every quarrel at home between the siblings they have surmounted a bigger task outside of home.

Now for some summer fun when hopefully all that positivity will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment