Autumns here!!

Autumns here!!

Monday, February 15, 2010

"I only like her face, not her heart"!

V has moved to a new kindy which is a stone's throw from our new home. I was very concerned about the move. He had a great set of friends at his previous school and was adored by his teachers. I had several short chats with him to ensure that his feelings were not unduly disturbed (as always, I, the mother, was fretting more than necessary)

He was absolutely fine! V, the resilient child that he is, settled in very smoothly. I was amazed at how he had coped so well with the changes. And then, one day he came home and said that a girl was bugging him. When I probed further, he said that she was bullying him and basically giving him a hard time. She would act like an angel in front of the teacher and behave like a witch behind her back!I told him to seek the teacher's help- "I did ma, but she always acts good in front of the teacher". Husband told him to ignore her and assured him that it was an age-old trick(!!)- "I can't Dada." The teacher warned the girl and asked V to play with other children- "But I want to play only with her".

Our little guy was drawn to her like a fly to a lamp. I asked him why and he surprised me with a "She has a pretty face, ma. I like her". How do I console this child? Unrequited friendship can be excruciatingly painful. All I did was just give him a great big hug!

The little heroine continued her mean behavior with my sonny boy. He bore it well. He made cards for her which she threw in the garbage (I was fuming), he smiled at her and she sneered, he always thought of her as his best friend!

One day, he jubilantly announced that she had included him in play that day and even sat next to him in class. I was sooo happy for him. He seemed very pleased. Thank god, my little one's heart was'nt going to be tortured any further. And then, out of the blue, he said "But I don't think I like her anymore....that much". Why, what happened? Where did that come from?

"I think I only liked her face, ma. Not her heart"!

What can I say son? You got it right! I just pray that this good sense prevails for another twenty odd years when you will meet greater beauties and smarter women!

No comments:

Post a Comment