Autumns here!!

Autumns here!!

Friday, February 12, 2010

When will I find my prince?

"Amma, why did you marry Dada? I wanted to make him MY prince!"(big pout)

Typical!My little girl adores her dad. But that's hardly reason for me to be concerned. What did, was the fact that she's 3 and already on the lookout for 'her prince'!

Me: Why do you want a prince?
S: to be a princess and live happily ever after
Me: but you are our princess and you are happy now, right?
S: Yes, but I want to be a REAL princess and have a REAL prince!

A little too much of the Disney Princesses? Maybe! Cinderella, Snow White, Ariel and Aurora are up on her wall. She's seen some of these movies and just once. But she's heard all the stories and the impact has of course been huge!

Why do all the Disney princesses have to be saved by a prince, and be so pretty and incapable of taking charge of their lives? Is my daughter concluding that only the male species can rescue and save? Is she learning that to live a good life you need a handsome hunk on a horse? Is she being exposed to sexist notions?

I'm not sure what exactly is going on inside that pretty head of hers. But I know that she's going to believe what I say. So, I exaggerate these tales further by highlighting Snow White's bravery (for spending a night all by herself in the forest), Ariel's 'çan do' spirit and Cinderella's gentleness.

I was secretly thrilled that she loved Mulan and The Princess & The Frog!Mulan fought for her country and made her parents very proud! In the Princess & The Frog, the heroine is gorgeously dark skinned and is bent on pursuing her dream. She has an ambition (and it's not to marry a prince) and is determined to achieve it!

My little one needs to emulate strong women.... women who have passion and purpose. But in the meanwhile, I want my princess to just enjoy being a little girl. And if that means fantasizing about princesses and reveling in a world of love and hope...so be it!

No comments:

Post a Comment