Autumns here!!

Autumns here!!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Dressing up for my little man

Kids tucked in. Beautiful night. Friends waiting. A and I were just stepping out when I went to check on the kids one last time before leaving. V was half awake when I kissed him. He asked me sleepily why I never wore such pretty clothes when I went out with him and why did I wear all the nice clothes only when I went out with dada!!

Hmm...never thought of it that way. I just wear what's most comfortable and sensible when I'm with the kids. Ditto for birthday parties as I'm always sure I'll get some ice cream dropped 'accidentally' right on my lap or worse still have chocolatey fingers gripping my sleeve. And also because I never really thought that it mattered. But apparently it did. Of course it did. Flashback- I remember coming home from school to a mother who was always clad in a starched and ironed cotton saree, her face washed and her bindi freshly made. Just looking at my mother made me forget my upcoming tests and already received test scores. Everything would seem possible just gazing into all that calm, fresh prettiness!


I've seen mothers lounging around in their 'kaftans'( thankful if its not torn) or worse 'nighties' while at home. Oh I agree that they maybe the most comfy clothes in which you can achieve your 1001 targets for the day. But do remember that it's also the way your kids are going to remember you by.

Following weekend, V&S were all set to have fun at their friend's birthday party. I came out wearing the 'pretty dress' that V saw me wearing the other night. I knew that a spaghetti strap chiffon thingie was most unsuitable for a 5 year old's birthday party. But the look in his eyes, I will never forget. "Amma, you are wearing your pretty clothes for ME, you look awesome"!! I felt such a thrill run through my body- inexplicable!

We dress up for our husbands, for our friends, for interviews.... for strangers. Lets start dressing up for our kids. It means a lot to them and definitely has quite an effect on them.

I have my dreams of wearing starched Bengal cotton sarees and big bindis and recreating my mom's image for my kids....well that still remains a dream. But I definitely have progressed...no more boring jeans, staid ponytails and sensible capris. A dash of lipstick even if its only down to the playground, a twirly skirt to the library....I'm thoroughly enjoying dressing up for the little man in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment