Autumns here!!

Autumns here!!

Monday, June 28, 2010

Simplicity thy name is Shriya!

I am used to my son's regular requests for superhero toys, games, videos...the list is endless. He loves his toys and actually keeps abreast of what's hot and not and is adept at the fine art of 'When to strike!'. My little girl on the other hand has no wants. And no, I'm not exaggerating, she has not till date asked us for ANYTHING!! She does not want toys- "I have so many at home", she does not wish for clothes- "I already feel like a princess in these clothes" and she does not ask for junk food- because her all-time favourite snacks are steamed Idiyappams, pumpkin seeds and walnuts!
Where did I get this little blessing from? She's just this satisfied little soul who has still not had her first acquaintance with pessimism.

I: Shriya, pl don't take your drink near Amma's laptop
S: Why?
I: It could get spoiled!!
S: Don't worry ma, we can always buy a new one!!


Vaibhs and I: Shucks, we are 10 minutes late. The movie would have definitely started
S: Only 10 minutes have gone? Phew, I though we might have missed more than half the movie!!


But just because she does not want anything, I don't let her off that easily. I love buying her clothes and matching trinkets and shoes....well, basically everything that you buy when you do have a daughter! She's a great sport and will let me dress her ( except for her hair...as she says "It's my hair and I DON'T want it in a ponytail!!!) and have my fun.

Yesterday, we were out and I happened to pass a shoe store which was offering good rebates as part of the Great Singapore Sale. Naturally, I had to go in. I checked out a couple of pairs, tried on two and then decided that it wasn't that great afterall.

When we came out Shriya asked me "Why are you looking to buy some more shoes? Is your old pair broken? You already have so many. Let's not be greedy, ma"!! OUCH...that hurt! Didn't quite expect a reprimand from my 3 year old. But maybe you are right. Do I REALLY need another pair? Even if it is perfect for the new dress that I recently bought? Hmm...

Shriya, you are wonderfully refreshing in a world of wants. Your attitude, optimism and simplicity are striking now and if you nurture these traits for another couple of years, you will sparkle as part of a 'lone breed'!

Just promise to stay this way my little pet!

No comments:

Post a Comment