Autumns here!!

Autumns here!!

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Glorious, glorious food!!

The summer was packed with travel, good times, new sights and spectacular tastes!
For me, food is as much a treat to the eyes as is it is on the tongue! I can do without ambience but not without appeal. I have eaten in ramshackle joints but only because the food there was oh so inviting!

Every meal was a gastronomic delight- atleast to me and my son!We are the confirmed foodies at home. Whether it was the hand-made gnocchi that we had in a little alley in Trastevere, the flavourful pizzas that we lunched on in some remote suburb of Rome or just a snack of potato spinach croquettes outside the Vatican- they were all relished with equal and utmost fervour. I'll let the splendid food do the talking!








I am big on markets!Nothing does it for me than visiting a local market filled with fresh produce. I could possibly trace this 'not so common' love for markets way back to when I was a curious kid following my mother every Sunday morning through the farmer's market or 'Sandhai'(as we call it in Tamizh)in Madurai. The heat and haggling never bothered me. In fact, I think it added a certain charm to that rustic setting. So, I was thrilled, to say the least, to visit the century old market square in Budapest. I can easily say that it was the highlight of my Hungarian trip! The colours, the people, the atmosphere-they all told a tale!!I've always believed that a vibrant local market can teach us more about a country than its ancient ruins!The market house in Budapest was not even remotely similar to the humble 'Sandhai' that I used to frequent in Madurai. But the essence, tone and mood were all intact!










1 comment: