Autumns here!!

Autumns here!!

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Passion for Pedhas

Its nearly the end of the week! The sun is still shining bright, despite the fact that summer has been declared officially over! Work has been going well and I'm all set to start teaching Bharatanatyam (Indian Classical Dance), this weekend to a bunch of very passionate learners. Reason enough for a bit of sweet celebration?

I love food and I do love to cook. But I always get cold feet when it comes to Indian desserts. Sweets were especially made during festival times when the family 'chefs' were always around- mom or my aunt or my granny! And with these expert cooks taking over my kitchen to handle the desserts, I never really got the hang of making them. My range is very limited. I can precisely make 3 Indian sweets and am definitely more comfortable making a pannacotta than rolling out traditional polis (jaggery/dal stuffed thin pancakes).

The chosen dish was 'pedha', simply because both my kids love it with equal passion and have not had a chance to savour it these last 6 months. A milk-based dish it has several variations, consistencies and specifications. I trawled through websites for recipes and was alarmed at how many I found. Except for the main ingredient, ricotta cheese, the others are my brave additions:

250 gms of ricotta cheese
4 table spoons of condensed milk (depending on how sweet you like it)
2 table spoons of ghee
2 pinches of cardamom powder
2 tablespoons of finely ground almond powder



I heated up the ghee and simply added in the rest of the ingredients. I left it on slow flame and gave it a good stir now and then. After about 15-20 minutes, all the moisture evaporated, leaving behind a soft ball of creamy goodness.I patted them into little flat balls and pressed a pistachio on the top. Refrigerated it for half an hour or so to allow the pedhas to retain their shape.

The kids gobbled a couple of pieces yesterday and have packed a few for their snack at school today.

A very tasty, super easy, no complication Indian dessert that can be whipped up within half an hour! Yipee, my repertoire just increased and now stands at a grand 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment